Software RAID Mirror Problem

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sun Oct 10 22:27:11 UTC 2004

Chris Ford wrote:

>Good afternoon all.  I have a question about a broken
>software RAID mirror.  I had a two disk mirror of my
>boot drive that has / /boot /usr and /var on it.  The
>disks are IDE.  I lost the primary drive in the
>mirror, but can still mount the secondary drive if I
>boot from CD.  If I make the secondary drive primary
>and try to boot it, it says "Error Loading OS"  Is
>there any way to boot from the secondary drive and
>recreate the mirror with a new disk?  Thanks...
>
>Chris

Make the surviving drive primary.  Boot linux rescue from cd, allowing
it to find and mount your filesystems, which it will do under /mnt/sysimage.
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub install
exit # the chroot shell
exit

Boot normally.

Of course then you still need to re-establish mirrors on a new disk.  If
you need help with that too let me know.

Chris