usb problem

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Mon Oct 11 02:43:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 08:32 -0400, nur hasyim wrote:

> Hi all,
> i have problem mounting USB device,
> i get error message as follow
>
> /dev/sda1 is not block device
>
> when i use RH 9 is working properly.
>
> regard.
> hasyim
	The best news is that Finally FC3 should fix these problems (at least
T2 has been working great right out of the box.  But for today, ensure
that the device is actually being mounted on /dev/sda1, by taking a look
at dmesg right after plugging in the device.

	If that's ok take a look in /proc/scsi/usb-storage for a file with a
number. if it exists do a "cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/*"to see if it
represents the device you are attaching.

	Assuming it isn't, you'll need to edit a file.  If I remember correctly
(sorry I don't have a FC2 right now) it is something like /etc/updfstab.
In there you'll find a list of dozens of devices that are ready to be
hot-plugged.  By performing a "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" you should get a
listing of your device and the specific information you'll need.  I'm
sure once you look at the updfstab and the /proc/scsi/scsi, you'll
figure out what you need to add and where.

Scott