k3b race condition with mp3?

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Oct 11 12:57:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:43:39 +0200, kh wrote:

> I have used k3b successfully for some time, burning dvds, data music for
> a while on both dvdrs and cd's.
> But lately k3b sometimes when i burn mp3 get the whole fedora to a
> standstill, the harddisk works overtime and cant even bring up the
> screen after one hour working :)
> I have been able to shutdown as root though(ctrl-alt+f2) and got no
> errors through the shutdown process.
> Today the same happened and i got a bunch of errors (when shutting
> down), it told me that highmem was 0 and i was out of memory for each
> gnomeapplet/program that had a processid (probably).
>
> I have fc2 installed with the 2.6.8-1.521 kernel, latest k3b, running
> gnome (that followed fc2), latest xorg-x11, updated last night in hope
> to solve this issue.
> My box: athlon 1.33, 512 mb ram, nvidia geforce2 32 mb...
>
> My question is where to look in my box for some useful info that i can
> try to solve this issue? im for sure running out of memory.
>
> Btw, could the xserver also be involved in this memory issue?

Can you include the relevant portion of "rpm --query --all --last | less"?
While trying to reproduce your problem, keep an eye on processes'
memory usage. E.g. run "top" in a terminal window or use a graphical
process monitor (GNOME has one, too).

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 1.01 1.05 1.04