Re: OT (ish): How to copy hidden files/directories

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Don Buchholz wrote:

I just subscribed this morning, so I didn't see
that post.  The solution you posted

$ cp -r * .[!.]* <destdir>

does solve that problem.

To be totally pedantic, though, ".[!.]*" won't match a file named
"..foofoo".  So, for completeness, we need two patterns:

$ cp -pr .[!.]* ..?* <destdir>

dang, i had never considered that before. colour me sheepish.

Well, in ~15 years of *nix, I've never had a problem with ".??*", so your post got me thinking a little harder about corner cases. ;-)

- Don