Re: SNMP and tools

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Di, den 12.10.2004 schrieb Rick Stevens um 1:16:

  "yum search snmp" returns net-snmp, net-snmp-devel and that's all.
What I'm looking for (snmpwalk) used to be in the cmu-snmp-tools rpm,
but now I can't find it.

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/snmpwalk net-snmp-utils-5.1.1-2

   Next: why didn't this show up on a search?  It was in the repo; I
just installed the thing.  Isn't that odd?

The "-qf" option requires the full path to the file, not just the filename.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer rstevens vitalstream com -

Brian certainly did mean "yum search" in the above question and not the
"rpm -qf" command. Though I can't really answer that. On FC2 I get

$ yum search snmp
[ ... ]
Looking in installed packages for a providing package
[ ... ]
Installed package: net-snmp-utils.i386 0:5.1.1-2 matches with
 net-snmp-utils
4 results returned

Maybe "yum provides snmpwalk" would be better?

"yum search snmp" will show you what packages have "snmp" in their descriptions.

"yum provides /usr/bin/snmpwalk" will find the package that contains
that file (again, you must include the path).

"rpm -qf /usr/bin/snmpwalk" will show you a) if you installed it, and b)
which package it was that had it.  Again, you need the path.

It all depends on what you're trying to do.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-     Try to look unimportant.  The bad guys may be low on ammo.     -