SNMP and tools

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 12 00:29:37 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>>    Next: why didn't this show up on a search?  It was in the repo; I
>>>just installed the thing.  Isn't that odd?
>>
>>The "-qf" option requires the full path to the file, not just the
>>filename.

> Brian certainly did mean "yum search" in the above question and not the
> "rpm -qf" command. Though I can't really answer that. On FC2 I get
>
> $ yum search snmp
> [ ... ]
> Looking in installed packages for a providing package
> [ ... ]
> Installed package: net-snmp-utils.i386 0:5.1.1-2 matches with
>  net-snmp-utils
> 4 results returned
>
> Maybe "yum provides snmpwalk" would be better?

"yum search snmp" will show you what packages have "snmp" in their
descriptions.

"yum provides /usr/bin/snmpwalk" will find the package that contains
that file (again, you must include the path).

"rpm -qf /usr/bin/snmpwalk" will show you a) if you installed it, and b)
which package it was that had it.  Again, you need the path.

It all depends on what you're trying to do.
-     Try to look unimportant.  The bad guys may be low on ammo.     -