I cannot start xpdf

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 00:47:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 20:37, Jarod Dong wrote:
> When I tried to start it, I got this:
>
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
>  Value in failed request:  0x16000db
>  Serial number of failed request:  668
>  Current serial number in output stream:  669
>
> Is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Not sure yet.  I recently posted about the same kind of error.  In my
case I started out using other pdf viewers and finally found xpdf
provide more error information than the others.  The same error message
that you reported.  Search that thread.  Someone pointed me to a web
site that had some interesting info about installing certain fonts that
may not be included with the pdf file.  I suspect that is the problem.
The pdf file is apparently built without one of the fonts
(times-medium-r-normal).  The web site indicated that ghostscript may
have those fonts and gave some steps to install them.  I have not tried
this yet but it may be the solution to this problem.

If you do get this resolved I would appreciate you posting the solution.

Good luck.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The covers of this book are too far apart.
		-- Book review by Ambrose Bierce.