URGENT sis hsp 56 MR modem

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 12 02:41:34 UTC 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 09:37 pm, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 19:53, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

>>> snip

> > 1. http://www.linmodems.org -- Some excellent background information
> > there, as well as links to other useful sites. Be sure to search their
> > discussion list archives. Also, they have a link to the linmodem how-to.
> > However, be aware that it is three years old, and some of the information
> > may be out of date.
>
> The how-to linked to may be out of date, but the references and drivers
> available on the http://www.linmodems.org site are very current.
>
> The mailing list there is also current and the developers are very
> active on it.

Points well taken. I should have made it clear that I was referring to the
how-to and _not_ to linmodems.org, although I could quibble about the link to
Rob Clark's site at the bottom of the linmodems.org page. I'm not sure what
happened there, but trying to access that site has become a real crapshoot.
Sometimes it works, but most times it doesn't.

>>> snip

> The progress since those days is phenomenal, even though certain
> manufacturers do not support linux on their modems.  Most do or have 3rd
> party drivers available and the hard part is identifying the proper
> chipset on the modem and then installing the proper drivers.
> www.linmodems.com is your friend there.

Again, you're correct. I understand that some current distrubutions not only
indentify some winmodems during the installation process but also configure
them. (I'm not sure if Fedora does this or not.)

-- cmg