whereami-like program under Fedora?

I'm looking for a program to run on my laptop
which will set up network connections properly
according to whether I am at home or at work.

Do any Fedora users have advice on a good program for this?

I've looked at whereami, guessnet and ifplugd -
all are rather Debian centered,
and don't seem to exist in Redhat rpm format.

Incidentally, I've never been clear if one can use Debian rpms
under Redhat/Fedora without problems?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366