App Start up Woes in KDE 3.2.2

Alexander Apprich A.Apprich at science-computing.de
Tue Oct 12 11:55:09 UTC 2004

Derek,

Derek Schaible wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> A problem has crept up on me over the past couple of weeks and I have no
> idea where to begin troubleshooting it.
>
> When I first load KDE 3.2.2 some apps, such as Evolution, Kate, Kwrite,
> Kcalc, gnome-print-manager, gedit, basically any KDE or Gnome native app
> takes a very long time to load, up to 5 minutes. Sometimes, they
> hourglass for a while and then just stop.
>
> Executing, say, kate at the command line gives no error messages nor do
> any appear in any logs.
>
> Xmms, Xine, Wine apps (M$ Word, ppt, etc), firefox all start up right
> away. It's only KDE and Gnome apps. Once the apps are up and running
> everything is fine. But each app must go through this process once.
>
> However, say I logged out with Evolution still open. Next login will
> restore the app without delay.
>
> I cannot think of any event that may have changed my system. I've been
> running FC2 with kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2.stk16 for a couple of months on
> a Dell Latitude D800 laptop. Since this problem began I tried the
> updated KDE from up2date but the problem persists.
>
> Any thoughts on where to begin tracking this down would be greatly
> appreciated!!

Have you ever logged on using KDE or GNOME? I had a similar problem
when I used AfterStep on RH9 using KDE or GNOME applications. It took
them forever to start, and when I checked ps only starting "konsole"
from KDE it started couple other KDE based processes such as kinit or
so.

Try to verfiy this behaviour by logging into GNOME starting GNOME apps
and do the same w/KDE and KDE apps.

Might be worth starting one of those apps using

    strace -t -o /tmp/evolution.log evolution

so you can see where the application hangs forever.

Just a best guess.

Alex