Netboot: kernel panic no init found

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 20:20:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 13:56, Graham Leggett wrote:

> I figured out the problem of seeing the contents of the initrd - it
> seems that mount is quite happy to accept a gzipped ramdisk, it just
> displays that disk as empty. I had to manually uncompress the disk and
> mount it a second time before I could see the contents of the disk.
>
> None of this solves my original problem though, which is that netboot
> doesn't work. I have confirmed that a file called "disklessrc" is
> present in the root of the initrd, and I have confirmed that the
> init=disklessrc is apparently being passed to the kernel, but it would
> seem that the kernel does not agree.
>
> Is there a way to convince the kernel to print out the command line that
> it has received? I strongly suspect the command line it is supposed to
> receive, and the command line it is actually seeing are two very
> different things, thus the problem.

You stated earlier that the boot process dies with the "No init found"
message. Way before that, you should see something like this, except
your root will be different:

Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/hde7 rhgb console=tty0

I would make sure your command line doesn't have "quiet" on it, then you
will have to suspend output shortly after it starts booting. Use Ctrl-S
and Ctrl-Q to stop and start console output. Then you can use shift page
up and shift page down to scroll backwards and forwards.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>