Upgrading packages with rpm

John Hodges j.d.hodges at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 11 22:24:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> libstdc++34 is designed to live side by side with libstdc++.  Install with
> "rpm -ivh ...".

Thank you. I managed to get everything installed properly using the -i
flag. This does bring about another question, however. If they are
intended to live side-by-side, why would -U try to replace one with the
other? My apologies if it seems I am splitting hairs, but I am quite new
to linux and when a command does not act as I would have anticipated, I
like to understand why.

Thanks again,
John