NTP syncing

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 13 02:45:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 06:33:14PM -0700, Kevin Wang wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:10:23 -0700, Nifty Hat Mitch
> <mitch48 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > It might be quicker than Paul expects.  ...
> >
> > So wall time can be very good inside of a min.
>
> You sure the machine isn't setup to first ntpdate against the servers?
> shrug. my experience is from a redhat 7 or 8 derivation from a few
> years ago.  I distinctly remember this because it was a real pain
> trying to debug ntpd because I had to wait 10 minutes to verify that
> my changes worked right.

It is true that "service ntpd start" does
a list of things.

One of the things it does do is an ntpdate in advance of ntpd.
It also interacts with the firewall which is while

I do use "service ntpd start" for no other reason than
it does things I like with ip filters.. I could hack it
and see how long it does take to sync ....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy