Sendmail GUI

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Oct 13 04:21:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 10:32, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 12.10.2004 schrieb Craig White um 19:08:
>
> > You might want to check out webmin <http://www.webmin.com> - it ain't
> > Multi-Switch but it's awfully good and free. It does give you easier
> > access to the granular items of sendmail from a web browser.
> >
> > Craig
>
> Does Webmin meanwhile work with the sendmail.mc file or will it still
> leave you with a customized sendmail.cf which means that if you switch
> over to a different system you have no chance then to rebuild the
> sendmail.cf from a customized macro file?
>
> If you don't know what you need to set I feel Webmin does not help you
> really. If you know what files need to contains which information you
> are as quick in editing the plain files. This is my personal experience
> with it.
----
At the risk of someone else answering this before I have read through
the remaining 150 posts ;-)

Webmin edits sendmail.mc and obvious makes the sendmail.cf from that

I would agree with the concept of 'if you don't know what you need to
set' limitations of webmin - that is still the case - at least when it
comes to sendmail.mc file. It does have some other very handy purposes
such as getting at things like virtuser/alias/access tables and things
like local-host-names.

When Sendmail.com first sold Sendmail Switch, I purchased a copy and it
seemed a bit oversimplified itself but it did handle certs fairly
nicely.

The reality is, sendmail isn't that difficult to understand whether you
use Sendmail Switch or not, whether you use webmin or not, no matter
what, you still have to learn something about what is going on with an
MTA.

Craig