print directory tree

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Wed Oct 13 07:41:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 15:03 +1100, Daniel Harrison wrote:
> whats the linux equal of the dos 'tree' command?

A Linux program similar to DOS tree would be the 'tree' program.  You
can also use 'ls -R' or 'find' to perform similar functions.  You can
install the 'tree' program using YUM:
  yum install tree

> Does anyone know of a decent quick reference guide?

Quick reference between DOS and Linux?  There are thousands of such
documents on the web but all that I've seen are extremely incomplete.
There are a number of books which cover that topic in various detail.
Try searching Amazon or some other online book seller.  Sounds like a
good Wiki project, though.

"Linux System Commands" appears to have extensive DOS references:
  http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0764546694.html

The Linux Dictionary may prove useful:
  http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/

Trying to learn Linux by relating it to past DOS experience is like
learning a word processor based on past experience with a pencil.
Possibly helpful but not enlightening.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/