Re: What is meaning of this code: chomd +x mydate

root wrote:
It's not a good idea to log in as root; a small typo can result in a big loss of data. Better to log in as a regular user and switch to root only when necessary.

I want to edit a shell shript file which name is mydate. But How can
I run this shell shript file. Someone told me to use "chomd +x mydate",
but what meaning it is  and where I should use!

Did you try "man chmod"? The explanation is there.

By running "chomd +x mydate" you are adding execute permission for everybody to the file called "mydate". Execute permission on a file means you can run it as a program.

Paul.