hardenin document

Rafiq_Maniar at Dell.com Rafiq_Maniar at Dell.com
Wed Oct 13 09:35:54 UTC 2004

Do a search for 'securing fedora' on google and you'll find some
interesting links.

There's a Red Hat Security guide, made for RH9 but still applies pretty
much to Fedora.

This article - http://linuxgazette.net/105/odonovan.html - also looks
like it provides some good information.

Here's a quick overview of some of the things you'll need to do:
1) Firewall! Generally, a policy of deny all and only let in the few
ports you'll need (ssh, nfs, etc).
2) Configure cron to run 'yum' every night to keep the system up to
date.
3) Disable any services you don't want.
4) Set up some sort of Intrusion Detection System (Tripwire, ACID,
Snort, etc).
5) Enforce secure passwords for all users.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6261-1049408.html
6) Never login as root. Make sure you can't ssh in as root.
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

You don't say which protocol you are using to transfer the files. I'd
suggest using scp to copy them via ssh, this is the
most reasonably secure method, and then the only port you will need to
leave open for either inbound or outbound is ssh.

Thanks,
Rafiq