What is meaning of this code: chomd +x mydate

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Oct 13 11:15:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 05:26, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> root wrote:   <<---- this isn't good.  Use root only for maintenance.

> > Hi,
> >    I want to edit a shell shript file which name is mydate. But How can
> > I run this shell shript file. Someone told me to use "chomd +x mydate",
> > but what meaning it is  and where I should use!
> > Thanks a lot!
>
> Be careful of the misspelling -- the command you are looking for is
>
> chmod +x mydate
> (not chomd)
>
> Others have already talked about what chmod does and where to find more
> information about its use, but I just wanted to be sure you caught the
> spelling needed!

   Good call, Clint.  On all these commands, don't forget "man chmod",
too.

   I didn't realize that no "a" intimates an "a".  I've been using
"chmod a+x myfile" since the late 80's. Good to know.

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller