Netboot: kernel panic no init found

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Oct 13 14:26:49 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> I have traced all such kernel panic errors to errors on the grub line
> being read. Does the kernel version conform to the initrd version. Is
> the root indicated really the root partition with the right name (or
> label) in the fstab file. Do you have an /initrd directory on the
> machine. etc, etc. and so forth.

Turns out the system-config-netboot package that Redhat produced is
fundamentally broken.

It had set up Linux to boot from an initrd, however the initrd was
missing the required libraries to make bash work, which in turn stopped
their replacement init script from working, which in turn caused the
kernel panic.

Performing a whole lot of surgery to the initrd file eventually got the
system to netboot, but the Fedora Core 2 system still has a long way to
go before it will work propery diskless. :(

Regards,
Graham