Ghost ideas/thoughts please

Colin J Thomson colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 15:01:17 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 Oct 2004 15:34, Andrey Andreev wrote:
> Colin J Thomson wrote:

Snipped

> > I have followed the threads on "ghosting" a drive but I dont feel very
> > comfortable just yet trying it, the plan of action is ghost my working
> > fC2 system (hda) to the new SATA drive (sda) and Boot from the SATA
> > drive.
> >
> > The plan of action is to boot up from the FC2 CD in rescue mode and use
> > DD, and issue this command:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/hda of/dev/hde
>
> That would copy everything, including the MBR, labels, the partition
> tables and stuff from hda to hde. If that's what you want, OK. If you'd
> rather copy only a partition, you'd partition your hde in advance with
> fdisk, parted, etc., and then dd just the partition you want to copy
> into the partition you want it to land to. Like:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hde1
>
> Now, if someone has some knowledge on how buffersize affects the copy,
> please help here. I've always used a Big Buffer (see the bs option of
> dd), and never checked if it makes a difference.

Ok, this is getting interesting, I need to checkup on "bs" .

One thing I should of mentioned is that the Drives are different sizes, hda
= 40gig and the SATA = 80gig, I seem to remember this maybe a problem, in
that the "free space" needs to be free'd up after using dd,

> Spinrite is a commercial product, that can sometimes fix physically bad
> sectors on a bad drive. It is an extremely cool product, in my oppinion,
> but it's not what you need.

Ah, ok thats handy to know, thanks for the advice,

Colin
--
Fedora Core 2, Custom Built Kernel 2.6.8.1
KDE-Redhat-3.3.1-0.2.2.kde