Minimum DNS Config - SOLVED

All,

I had asked about the minimum DNS and/or network configuration and a
couple of people had offered suggestions.  I have found the answer:

   http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

This package: dnsmasq does exactly what I want without needing to do
any bind configuration and running from one /etc/hosts on the firewall
machine.

It compiled and installed out of the box :-)

Jonathan