Best MTA & AV & SF combination.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Oct 13 17:37:27 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 13.10.2004 schrieb Fedora Development and Support um 19:21:

> It's probably more by personal choice than technical prowess, but what's
> the most highly rated, robust POP3/IMAP MTA & antivirus & spam filtering
> combination for virtual hosting of many domains on an FC2 server?

Regarding the MTA part it is certainly more a personal choice.

All 3 MTAs which Fedora Core 2 ships - Sendmail, Postfix, Exim - can
handle a lots of mail per hour. They are too what you might call
"robust".

For detecting spam there is SpamAssassin. Too shipped with FC. I use it
along with Sendmail, integrated by the milter interface and another
application. I like MimeDefang much, others are preferring AMaViSd-new
for instance. Those can too integrate the anti-virus checking part.
ClamAV is for free and available through fedora.us. MimeDefang can
handle a lot of other scanners as well, so I think AMaViS will.
> Dovecot is simpler, but seems a bit light weight.

On the IMAP/POP3 side I prefer Cyrus-IMAPd for bigger environments. The
current 2.2.x version line handles virtual domains.

> Stuart

With such a question you will hardly get an answer with a specific
system scheme, rated over all others. Many combinations are solid and
different setups can be a good choice.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:28:03 up 13 days, 21:54, load average: 0.04, 0.32, 0.41