Ghost ideas/thoughts please

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Oct 13 22:36:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 08:29, Colin J Thomson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following up from my "Drive Upgrade questions" post:
>
> I finally installed my new SATA drive and with a bit work I can see the
> drive with "dmesg". It was just a case of probing the correct driver and
> adding it to my rc.local, the Drive is seen as a SCSI (sda)
> I guess thats what I get for running a custom kernel (a bit more work to
> do) :)
>
> I have followed the threads on "ghosting" a drive but I dont feel very
> comfortable just yet trying it, the plan of action is ghost my working fC2
> system (hda) to the new SATA drive (sda) and Boot from the SATA drive.
>
> The plan of action is to boot up from the FC2 CD in rescue mode and use DD,
> and issue this command:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda of/dev/hde

This is NOT a good plan.
The copy will have the exact same partition table/geometry/labels/etc as
the original.  It will likely damage the destination drive unless the
destination is exactly the same as the original ( make/model/ CHS/etc.)

You can create the partitons on the new drive then copy data over, or
use  g4u to do what you want.

for info see http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/