NameServer Setup

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Oct 14 02:44:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 10:15, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Okay.. NS seems to be correct, But can I ask if you've already
> configured BIND or something for the Nameservices? Or are you _only_
> using /etc/hosts?
>
> /etc/hosts may not necessary be the correct path in the sense that it
> will only be used for the _local_ PC name to IP address translation.
> IIRC, it should not propagate to other PCs. (if you really want, then it
> those entries will have to be replicated to _all_ PCs. I may be wrong)

Sorry to reply to myself.. but maybe your needs will be met by looking
at dnsmasq

quote :
Dnsmasq will serve names from the /etc/hosts file on the firewall
machine: If the names of local machines are there, then they can all be
addressed without having to maintain /etc/hosts on each machine.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel