make modules_install : unknown symbols

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 14 11:38:50 UTC 2004

On Oct 14, 2004 at 15:38, Steve Howlett in a soothing rage wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>I downloaded linux kernel 2.6.8.1 from kernel.org and proceeded to
>>compile and install it.
>>
>>The compilation is somewhat different than with the 2.4 kernels I'm more
>>accustomed to.
>>
>>Everything seems to go well enough (although make gconfig didn't work)
>>until make modules_install
>>
>>After much installation followed by much reflection, depmod reports
>>rafts and rafts of unknown symbols.
>>
>>I seem to have taken a basic misstep somewhere and would appreciate
>>being put back on track.
>>
>>This is with Fedora 2.
>
>You need to install updated tools module_init_tools & modutils.
No the OP does not. He is using FC2 which already has the stuff
he needs. All he needs to do is follow what Alexander Dalloz said.
To add to that, I would grab the /boot/config-$KERNEL_RUNNING and
copy to where the kernel is being built as .config. The do a 'make
oldconfig' before doing a 'make menuconfig'. Then follow the rest
of the steps for building a 2.6 kernel.

N.Emile...
Do you have exactly what I want in a plaid poindexter bar bat??
07:34:52  up 108 days, 49 min,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00