Why would my server be swapping...

Wouter van Vliet wouter.van.vliet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 14:27:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:10:13 +0100, Douglas Furlong
<douglas.furlong at firebox.com> wrote:

> > > The easiest way is with the uname command.
> > >
> > > uname -a will give you the lot.
> > >

> > uname -a gives:
> >
> > Linux ********* 2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp #1 SMP Thu Jul 1 08:36:21 EDT 2004
> > i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> >
> > Now, what does that tell you about my swapping concerns?
>
> Absolutely nothing what so ever, but I never told you that I could fix
> your swapping problem, I was just telling you how to find out your
> kernel version.

hehe, well I wasn't referring to only you, Douglas but everybody whow
as waiting for the output of uname. And i do appriciate the
information you gave me. Though I've been running around in Linux
World for a while now, I haven't found the time to get myself a lot
further than just using it as a webserver.

Anyway, you happen to know a command that like really tells me what
processes are consuming memory? I know top, but no matter how close I
look I cannot find all of the memory used in it's output.

Thanks!