Raid or LVM

Will McCorkle WMcCorkle at dgsystems.com
Thu Oct 14 16:04:39 UTC 2004

Douglas,

That is not what I got out of the docs when I read them, but its
possible I miss understood. I will research it again and have a deeper
look. If it works than that is what I was looking for Thanks

Will McCorkle

Howdie howdie howdie.

Just curious about your 255GB limit on LVM groups. This limit as far as
I can see is for LVM1, which is not used in the 2.6 Kernel/ Fedora Core
2 and above.

Just to quote...

What is the maximum size of logical volumes?
It depends on which version of LVM you are using. If you are

using LVM1, then there is a 255G limit on LV sizes (this is based on PE
size). If you use the
LVM2 metadata format, then you are limited only by disk space and the
maximum size that your kernel supports. If you create PVs in LVM1 format
and then migrate to LVM2, then you will still be limited to 255G, unless
you remake your VGs and LVs with the LVM2 tools. If you made a VG with
LVM1, or if you created it with the -M1 flag to vgcreate in LVM2, then
you have an upper limit which is imposed by the format1 metadata.

>From rom http://deb.riseup.net/storage/lvm2/

Is the Fedora release different?
--
Douglas Furlong