POP3 on fedora core 2

I'm running qpopper on fedora core 2 on an Intel server in server mode and the authentication and I/O is still very slow. The mail stores are small so there must be some other explanation. I had trouble getting dovecot to work so abandoned it and installed qpopper. Any suggestions on how to improve POP3 user sessions would be greatly appreciated!