More SSH 'trolling'

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Oct 14 20:43:03 UTC 2004

David L Norris wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 13:07 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>

>>In /etc/sshd/sshd_config you want to have the following lines:
>>
>>PermitRootLogin no
>>
>>AllowUsers  selectusernames
>>

>You can also create a 'remote' group, add only those users who need
>remote access and then add this to sshd_config:
>  AllowGroups remote
>
>That way you can specify who can login remotely via SSH with any of the
>user management tools.  I think it would be nice if this was the
>default.  FirstBoot could add the first normal user to the remote group
>automatically, for example.

I create an sshusers group for that:
groupadd -g 101 sshusers

And I like your idea of it being an installation or firstboot configured
default.  When adding a non-root user in firstboot there could be a
checkbox for allowing them ssh access which added them to the sshusers
group.

Allowing only protocol 2, and not permitting root login, should also be
default settings.

Chris