Screensaver doesn't start under KDE

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 15 06:00:55 UTC 2004

Botond Kardos wrote:
>     Hi,
>     I think this is an old bug but I didn't find anything useful with
> google.
>     So my problem is that the screensavers sometimes don't start
> automatically after the desired idle timeout. As I observed it doesn't
> depend on the type of the actual screensaver (GL or not). Once KDE gets
> into a state where one screensaver failed to start, no other won't work,
> regardless of what I select in the "Configure Desktop / Screen Saver"
> menu. Only a KDE (or X) reboot will help. Of course all the screensavers
> work just fine if I test them, but they won't start automatically. My
> settings usually are: start automatically; aware of power management;
> require password.
>     Thanks for any help,
>     Botond

Botond,
        As you would have the xscreensaver.rpm installed try a different
way,disable the screensaver in Configure Desktop and at the command line
run "xscreensaver-demo" you should get a GUI xscreensaver,it may run
better,if it does you can link to the desktop and run a small script to
restart after a boot etc.

    david