rkhunter

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 15 11:51:41 UTC 2004

François Patte wrote:
> who has experienced rkhunter? I have just installed it and tried and everything
> seems ok on my machine, expect these warning messages:
>
> * Application version scan
>    - GnuPG 1.2.3                                              [ Vulnerable ]
>    - Apache 2.0.47                                            [ Vulnerable ]
>    - OpenSSL 0.9.7a                                           [ Vulnerable ]
>    - PHP 4.3.3                                                [ Vulnerable ]
>    - OpenSSH 3.6.1p2                                          [ Vulnerable ]
>
> I'm running fc1 and tried to update these soft but yum answer is that everything
> in installed in the latest version...
>
> Are fedoralegacy mirrors not up to date or rkhunter is wrong?

Did you check the RootKit Hunter FAQ?
http://www.rootkit.nl/articles/rootkit_hunter_faq.html

B8

Rootkit Hunter tells me I have vulnerable applications installed, but I have
fully patched my server! How is this possible?

Some distributions like Red Hat and OpenBSD do patch old versions. So Rootkit
Hunter thinks it's a old version, but instead it's a safe patched version. If
you have the same situation, don't use the program version checker
(--skip-application-check), to suppress the false positives.

Paul.