start-stop-daemon not found

Edwin Dicker edwin at dicker.nl
Fri Oct 15 13:52:22 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

I'm installing and trying to run a script which analyses iptablelogs. ( someone posted this link this week : www.gege.org/iptables )
I've come to the point where I should be able to start the iptablelog script which contains the following command :

case $1 in
start)
      echo -n "Starting $LONGNAME: ";
      start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid --exec $DAE
MON -- --background
      echo $NAME;
        ;;

The script errors with complaining it cant find start-stop-daemon.
I have been looking around but I 'm not able to find it, except for a source C file in /usr/share/doc/SysVinit-2.85/start-stop-daemon.c. it comes out of the SysVinit-2.85 package.

I'm trying to compile this file with gcc -o start-stop-daemon start-stop-daemon.c , again with many errors.

Should there be a start-stop-daemon file somewhere on the system ?? In which Package ?
I believe that such a file exists on Debian. But what about FC2 ?

TIA
Edwin