desktop linux security (was Re: Is my computer safe enough if I use just iptables?

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Fri Oct 15 18:18:32 UTC 2004

Ok,

Hence the levels of paranoia (Do what you feel comfortable with).
If you don't know how to do something you should probably read about it.
  I'm now quite sure what you disagree with? The personal proxy? The
firewall settings?, what?

Your ideas are vagaries at best? Only install what you need? If the
person is a complete newbie how will they know what they need?

If you select to use iptables during the install then it's turned on by
default.

What about tripwire...? Because that'll be real intuitive for a newbie.

The point is that in order to be safe you must know what you are doing.
If you haven't a clue that you must start small and work your way up to
the truly paranoid ;-)

--Harry