FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Oct 15 19:56:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:33:30PM -0600, Ken Johanson wrote:
> project? No other item's source is more likely to be needed on *every*
> users system, even by a longshot!!! What if I need to upgrade to SMP -
> should I download kernel*.rpm or 4*SRC.ISOs from redhat?? I'd be better

Uh, you should download the singled kernel-smp-*.rpm. Or more likely, you've
already got it installed since your SMP capable system was autodetected at
install time.

> to use kernel.org (but risk destabilizing a working system due to
> versioning/dependencies/redhat-isms), or to have the source already

Risk destabilizing your system by using a kernel which, with the new kernel
development process, is _designed_ to be tested and modified by vendors for
Real World use.

> there. Need a scsi module or raid support in the image? Grab from
> redhat? Thats ludicrous, sorry to say.

You shouldn't need the kernel source to build new modules.

>                                      No prebuilt kernel will ever
> match a power users needs, so the orig source should be prominently
> included.

I know dozens of power users who routinely and happily use the prebuilt
modular kernels almost exclusively.

> So my best options are(?):
> 	a) download from kernel.org (risk destabilize/versioning issues)
> 	b) search redhat for a prebuilt kernel that meets my specific needs
> 	c) search redhat for same-version kernel-source rpm, download.
> 	d) download 4 SRC ISOs to get guaranteed original build source rpm.
> c) seems like the best option to me but is far from convenient.
> 2) I think I see enough room on the install discs to include the kernel
> rpm... so why not?

I really and truly don't see the fuss. Why isn't having the kernel source in
a _source_ RPM better? It's more handy to have your modified kernel in the
form of an RPM anyway, _especially_ if you're a power user.

Also, I don't think you're likely to want to get the ISO images anyway --
you probably will want the latest update package if available, since kernel
update packages are both inevitable and not released lightly.