DHCP question

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at neenet.com
Fri Oct 15 22:12:49 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I am looking at setting up a DHCP server for a large number of machines
and am wondering something about the configuration if you could answer
for me.

Most of my reading lately on the internet regarding DHCP has suggested
that you can easily assign IP addresses to hardware like:

host loretta {
        next-server 192.168.7.14;
        hardware ethernet 00:90:27:3E:EA:60;
        fixed-address 192.168.7.15;
}

which can be placed in the config file for each client machine after
which the daemon can be started, right?

Well, I am wondering how can client configurations be added/removed
dynamically while the daemon is running and without causing a problem
when many clients are involved.

Is there some DHCP daemon that uses MySQL, for example, so that the
information can be dynamically added and removed?

Thanks,
Lonnie