FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 15 23:02:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 12:59 -0600, Ken Johanson wrote:
> Wrong. Source is *no longer* being included in the install discs,
> relegating one to searching redhat's site or prior downloading of
> 4*650MB=2.6 Gigs or source RPMs

Oh, come on... I'm no expert, and even *I* know that this...

# wget -c ftp://$YOURMIRROR/$PATH/kernel*rpm

...will get me a small subset of files in which I am *guaranteed* to
find the right one. Better commands (...kernel-smp*rpm) could easily be
created for an even smaller set. If you even contemplate downloading the
entire 2.6GB of SRPMS just to get one, you don't have the Clue you claim
to have.
> e simp

> A divergence from the point that the source is *not available*

Not available on the first four disks, you mean. OK fine, I see your
point. But:

  1. If 95% of users (a guess) don't need it, then putting it on those
disks for everyone instead of forcing 5% to wget it is an enormous waste
of bandwidth and space.

  2. And since in *most* cases you will have access to a far newer
kernel when installing a system, wgetting a source may be even simpler,
easier, and less work.

  3. "There seems to be space on the disks to include it, so why not?"
is a rough quote from a previous post of yours. Isn't that what got us
to FOUR DISKS of stuff to download in the first place?

I can see why you would resent the inconvenience to you of moving the
kernel source to a SRPM and to another disk. Fine. But from there to
your rant about its being "not available" as though it had been entirely
withheld from you and the constitution is being burned in effigy,
well... that's a far cry and smacks of fearmongering.

Just download the four binary CD's and issue one additional wget
command... what is so god-awful hard about that?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>