FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Oct 15 23:35:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 09:26, Ken Johanson wrote:
> Lew Bloch wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> >> The original poster needed a wakeup call, ...
> >

> > Unfortunately the OP all but promised to ignore anything anyone replied,
> > so undoubtedly missed the very simple answer that was provided early on.
> >
> > It's a shame if true, because they posted their plaint implying a desire
> > for enlightenment, but if they ignore the replies they shall remain
> > benighted.
> >

> Wrong-oh. The responses here have shown protectionist, possibly juts
> zealtotous reponses merely for *defending* a distro that doesn't provide
> the source to the kernel that it has running. This is akin to moving to
> a country where you're told you'll have rights by their constituion -
> but gess what -- you cant have the constitution. The constitution, like
> the kernel source, is the heart -- the foundation of everything.
> Foundation. Linus himself has tore into redhat for this very krop.
>
> So from the responses I've seen, its quite clear that they've never
> compiled or customized one -- one young zealot even claimed I should "go
> back to windows", which is *exactly* the level he's on, having no idea
> why the kernel source is providied in the first place. Clearly a genric
> kernel and modules fits him just dandy, just like windows.
>
> Again, no kernel source, no constitution - and that means something to
> hide, just as the kernels authors have asserted.
>
> Again, zealots need not apply.

What distro are you implying the kernel source is not available for?  I
personally know of NO Linux distros that have that failing.

It is available both to install using yum, apt-get, and up2date.
It also is an install option during the initial install, and is on the
install CD/DVD media for easy install.

You can flame all you want, but it does not change the facts that the
source is provided and easily accessible to all.  The only reason you
cannot read the "constitution" is that you do not want to open the door
to the library.

It also does not change the fact that you appear to be a zealot against
Fedora by your flame and either inexperience or deliberate
contentiousness and refusal to make an attempt to locate it.  Kernel
source is not installed by default because there are many (nost) users
who never need to compile a kernel and considerable drive space is
required for the source code (452 MB in my system).

Please either get a life and learn or go away and quit whining about
something that does not exist.