FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Oct 15 23:41:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 16:21, Ken Johanson wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
> >
> > How can you possibly imply what Alexander is/is not aware of. Unless, of
> > course, you are a mind reader.
> >
> > Being rude is what you have been good at with this thread.  Including
> > calling one of the most helpful persons on this list a moron.
> >
> > This list is for the released versions of Fedora, but from his posts I
> > believe he is very aware of the changes and upcoming release although it
> > is not yet ripe for inclusion in discussion here.
> >
> > And it is documented that the kernel sources for FC3 will be on the
> > source disks and not in the binary distro.
> >
> > That does not change the fact that they are included in the distro.
> >

> 1) He stated flat out that they are included - in the next version they
> are not - if he was unsure about what version, he should have asked
> before making the "monkey" and strong "false claims" statement. So
> unless he intended for his slander to be taken personally, then he
> shouldn't either.

They are not included ONLY if you believe that the sources on the
separate CDs are not part of the distro.
In my experience, even when you bought the distro from redhat they were
included.

> 2) He NEVER should have started the *personally* directed slander - that
> begs for trouble, always.
>
> I have zero remorse for firing back, and I *expect* that you too would
> do the same. Has the monkey been left out, well, you guess.
>
> Reading this thread you'll see that I've refrained (with delight) from
> responding to a whole bunch off non-topic, childish personal insult
> posts. Where I draw the line however is being slandered *with* braisen
> assertions that I'm wrong, esp when I'm not.

But you ARE wrong about the source being omitted.
While they may not be part of the test releases, they will be in the
released version.
While they may not be part of the binary packages, they will be on the
source CDs which are part of the distro.

Thus, you are looking at something that is in development and asking why
it is not in final form.  That is a stretch for anyone to make that
complaint.

If, on the other hand, the final release of FC3 did not include them on
the DVD or CDs being provided then your whine would be valid.