FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Oct 16 05:17:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 20:03 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> That is _precisely_ the point.  Why should anyone who wants the src
> have to dl the src iso's at 670MB each until he finds the one the
> kernel srcs *might* be in.

Gene, I know of no user who wants/needs the kernel's source code, and
who is clued-in to the current situation enough to know that the thing
moved into a SRPM package, *and* who is still enough of a jackass that
he can't fetch that one package (or the entire set of kernel SRPMS at
worst) via FTP, HTTP, yum, up2date, apt-get, or even rsync but instead
feels that his only recourse is to download 2GB+ worth of images.

I find some value in Ken's simple argument that the kernel source is
needed/wanted enough by some people that it would be worth the space
consumption to include the kernel source SRPM in the binary ISO images
as well, simply in order to make it more convenient for some people.
Whether that will happen or not is a separate issue, but it is not an
argument born of insanity.

However, I calculate the odds of some technically-savvy, kernel-
compiling jackass downloading 2GB+ of ISO's to get one SRPM as exactly
zero (i.e., too low to measure).

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>