Moving out Mac

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Sun Oct 17 00:07:14 UTC 2004

> n Oct 15, 2004, at 8:48 PM, Roy W. Erickson wrote:
> > What I want to do when I get home....
> > -------------------
> > I want to publish my math notes to the web and eventually through a
> > publisher. So I need math formula capable s/w to help me do that. I'm
> > still not satisfied with the basic stuff I see in OOffice.
>
> If you want to publish math (that doesn't look like cr** the way
> anything produced by M$ products does) you need to use TeX. If you are
> not familiar with it, TeX is a markup language like HTML. E.g., the
> fraction n/2 would be \frac{n}{2}. Unfortunately, I don't know of any
> friendly interfaces on the Mac or linux. Scientific Word for windows
> is, but I don't know of anything analogous for Mac or Windows. (TeX
> diehards sneer at S.W.--I guess they feel it's good for the sole to
> memorize lots of esoteric tags.) Nevertheless, if you want good output,
> you've got to bite the bullet and use TeX. Just get Gratzer's book,
> "Math into LaTeX" and you will be very happy. On linux, teTeX is part
> of FC2. I don't use TeX in linux, so I am only marginally familiar with
> teTeX. I believe it follows the standard procedure--produce your TeX
> file in your favorite editor (TeX files are plain text) and then "tex"
> it to produce a properly typeset document. On the Mac, use TeXShop.
> This is actually just the front-end, but it tells you what else to
> install. (I think the back-end may be teTeX again, but I can't swear to
> that.) It's nice in that it produces PDF files directly.
>
> --
> Patrick D. McSwiggen                            pat.mcswiggen at uc.edu
> Mathematical Sciences                            513-556-4080
> University of Cincinnati                         513-556-3417 FAX

To help with preparation of Tex and Latex documents you might want to use lyx.
from the lyx man page.

LYX(1)                              LyX 1.3                             LYX(1)

NAME
       lyx - A Document Processor

SYNOPSIS
       lyx [ command-line switches ] [ name[.lyx] ... ]

DESCRIPTION
       LyX is too complex to be described completely in the "man" page format.
       If your system is properly configured, you can access the full documen-
       tation within LyX under the Help menu.

       LyX  is  a document preparation system. It excels at letting you create
       complex technical and scientific articles with mathematics,  cross-ref-
       erences,  bibliographies, indices, etc. It is very good at documents of
       any length in which the usual processing abilities are required:  auto-
       matic  sectioning  and  pagination, spellchecking, and so forth. It can
       also be used to write a letter to your mom, though granted,  there  are
       probably  simpler programs available for that. It is definitely not the
       best tool for creating banners, flyers, or advertisements, though  with
       some  effort  all  these can be done, too.  Some examples of what it is
       used for: memos, letters, dissertations and theses, lecture notes, sem-
:

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA.