Networks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Oct 17 02:33:01 UTC 2004

Am So, den 17.10.2004 schrieb Thomas Cameron um 4:19:

> 1)  You said you wanted to "share files between the two boxes, like
> nfs."
>
> To run an NFS server you need at the very least the portmap, nfslock and
> nfs services to run.  To do this, run these commands as root:

I would have guessed both hosts are remote for each other. I concluded
that from "I have two computers.  Each wired to a linksys broadband
router." So I would not recommend to run NFS between them, as it is an
insecure way. Maybe have a look at

http://shfs.sourceforge.net/

after you configured SSH successfully on both sides.

> 2)  You said you wanted to be able to "address the boxes by a name
> rather then a number."  There are a number of ways you can do that.  For
> now, since you are new, I will describe what I consider the easiest way
> to do it.
>
> There is a file called /etc/hosts.  It's syntax is like this:

Again, if the hosts are not within a LAN and have no static host names
but dynamic IPs, you could usea DynDNS service.

> 3)  You said you wanted to "make telnet, ftp and ssh work between the
> two."  Well, to do that, you need to make sure that the telnet, ftp and
> ssh servers and clients are installed.

> Having said that, I strongly recommend that you NOT use telnet - it is
> horribly insecure.  ssh is just as easy to use and it doesn't send your
> password in plain text over the network.  IMHO, telnet is a Bad Thing
> (TM).  I will include the instructions for telnet below in case you
> really really like to be wild and dangerous.

Yes, telnet (server) is a DON'T under all circumstances.

> 4)  You asked "can I get the same ip on each box everytime?"  Yes, you
> can.  You can do it two ways.

Depends on how the IPs are assigned. If - again speaking about 2 remote
hosts - the IPs are assigned by an ISP, then you can't.

> Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT

No corrections of what Thomas said, just some notes because of different
understanding (or guess) what the situation for Phil is (might be).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 04:25:29 up 2 days, 23:36, load average: 1.92, 1.48, 1.66