webcams and gaim

Angelo Machils angelus at sangreal.demon.nl
Sun Oct 17 09:49:42 UTC 2004

Hi there

There are very few IM's which support webcam under Linux. The only one I
was able to find is GnomeMeeting, and this works with NetMeeting on
Windows (and of course GnomeMeeting :) )

This was my biggest obstacle to switch to Linux on all my boxes, but now
I have an old PII with win2000 as my IM-with-video-and-audio-solution
(then to discover that VNC is nice, but slowwwwwwww)

The other thing you could try is Palantir
(http://www.fastpath.it/products/palantir/index.php), it should be able
to stream video from your webcam, not only to web but there is a special
client as well. I haven't been able to get it to work yet, but haven't
had that much time to look into it.

Sadly things like VMWare doesn't support streaming data devices (yet??)
so that's not an option either....

Feel greeted, Angelo