Anyone using network profiles?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 17 14:53:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 10:01, Markus Huber wrote:
> Am So, den 17.10.2004 schrieb Timothy Murphy um 15:13:
>
> > My setup is as follows:
> > I have 2 Profiles, for home (Common) and college (TCD)
> > I have 2 logical devices, both attached to the physical device eth0,
> > which is a WiFi PCMCIA card.
> > I call the devices eth0_home and eth0_college.
> >
> > So I want to turn off eth0_college in the Common profile,
> > and I want to turn off eth0_home in the TCD profile.
>
> You can only decide if the network device is turned on at boot time or
> not. When you enable a boottime activation, every profile can use it.
>
> To allow or disallow a user to turn the device on or off, you have to
> disable the boot time activation.
>
> These are - as I see it - the options you have. So your observation
> seems to correct:
>
> > Also, as I said, I have to restart the network now whenever I reboot,
> > even though I stated that I wanted the Common profile to be activated
> > when booting.
> > (My suspicion is that the ifcfg_eth0 file is copied
> > to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> > after the point where the device would be activated.
> > But that is only an uneducated guess.)
>
> Do you have "ONBOOT=yes"?
>
> But if you can only guess, we all have just the crystal ball. Could you
> post your config(s)?
>
> > People have suggested I contact the Fedora-test list,
>
> Hence you are running FC3t1 (as I remember), yes. I e.g. can only
> provide infos about FC2. I do not have a test machine. If nothing has
> changed, then these infos might apply.

Not sure this is part of the problem or not, but in order to have pcmcia
devices start at boot time you have to configure them to NOT start at
boot.  When the pcmcia services start later on after the network
services start the pcmcia interfaces will be started automatically even
though you marked not to start at boot.  I still contend that this is
broken and needs to be fixed some way.  I believe this is a real world
case that shows just how broken this currently is.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

But has any little atom,