emacs via putty & keystrokes

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Sun Oct 17 15:12:43 UTC 2004

If I run emacs on a FC2 box via the console or thru X, everything is fine.

If I ssh into that box from a Windows Putty session and run emacs, the
backspace and end keys don't function as expected.  I assume this is in
the ssh session somewhere, but where?

Possibly related is another annoyance. As an example, man find run from
the console or X is fine. Run from the Putty session, the first line of
the second paragraph in the DESCRIPTION section shows strange characters:
     The first argument that begins with â-â, â(â, â)â, â,â, or â!â is taken
I don't know what email will show the above to look like after I send
it, but instead of single quotes, I get the letter a with an umlaut over it.

Thank you to anyone that can shed some light on this.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com