Dual boot strategy

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 17 15:37:27 UTC 2004

I've been running FC1 since June. It's been a good experience, and I've
decided to install FC3 when it is released next month. Being somewhat chicken
hearted, my thought is that it would be best to set up a dual boot FC1-FC3
system that could be easily modified as future releases occur. My plan is to
partition a 40 gb drive so that both the tried-and-true (FCn) and the
latest-and-greatest (FCn+1) are available. Six months later, FCn would be
replaced by FCn+2. Rinse and repeat.

My questions:

1. There were several threads in the archives concerning dual booting two
versions of Fedora; my inclination is to use the method given in this post by
Jim Cornette last May:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=108545448826891&w=2
Any second thoughts, Jim?

2. About partitioning: What would be the downside of setting up a separate
/home partition that can be accessed by either version? My thought is
something like 10 gb for /home, 1 gb /swap, 100 mb for each /boot, and 12 gb
for each /.

This is a simple single user home based system whose usage is largely surfing,
email, and some Open Office stuff. No servers, no development, and no
Windows. My next task is to upgrade from dialup to cable access, and then
setting up a simple home network with my wife's Mandrake 9.1 PC; that should
be accomplished prior to the release of FC3.

-- cmg