Port forwarding and ssh

I have a simple adsl router and gateway on the configuration i can allow
to forward port 22 to a specific machine. But when i try to connect by
ssh the machine from outside i have this answer : ssh: connect to host
toto.homeip.net port 22: Connection refused. I disable the firewall to
make some tries but the same. Is there a special configuration for ssh
to allow this ?
Thanks
Eric