Port forwarding and ssh

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Sun Oct 17 19:04:18 UTC 2004

> I have a simple adsl router and gateway on the configuration i can allow
> to forward port 22 to a specific machine. But when i try to connect by
> ssh the machine from outside i have this answer : ssh: connect to host
> toto.homeip.net port 22: Connection refused. I disable the firewall to
> make some tries but the same. Is there a special configuration for ssh
> to allow this ?
> Thanks
> Eric

One problem is that toto.homeip.net is resolving to 10.0.0.2, which
is a private address that you can't contact from the outside.  Try
doing an ssh from outside, to the numeric public IP address of your
ADSL connection. (You can find this from your router, or by visiting
http://www.whatismyip.com/ from a machine on your LAN.)
If that works, you have a DNS problem unrelated to SSH.
If not, see if you can SSH from another machine on your LAN.  If
so, you have a router configuration problem.  If not, see if
the sshd service is running.

--Stewart