Java plugin

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 18 12:35:49 UTC 2004

On 10/18/2004 04:02:37 AM, Mark Knights wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have followed the online plugin details that I could find for JRE
> (Java Runtime Environment) and Mozilla 1.7.etc and it did not seem to
> work.
>
> Can anyone give me a foolproof way to install the JRE?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Use the j2sdk from blackdown.
I have tried the jre in the past with no luck (RH 6.2 days) but the
j2sdk (which includes a jre) worked perfectly. So that's just what I
have always done since then.

On FC3T3 you will need to have compat-libstdc++ or else you won't even
be able to unpack their distribution. FC2 doesn't need compat-libstdc++

List of mirrors:
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java-linux-d2.html

What you want:
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/JDK-1.4.2/i386/

I'm using rc1 on both FC2 and FC3T3 - I haven't tried fcs yet.
Anyway - get the gcc3.2 version of either rc1 or fcs. I unpacked it all
in /opt/blackdown

So I have -

/opt/blackdown/j2sdk-1.4.2-rc1 (I think it just unpacks as j2sdk-1.4.2
but I renamed it)
chown -R root:root /opt/blackdown

Then I created a .sh file in /etc/profile.d to set my path and javahome
-

#!/bin/sh
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/blackdown/j2sdk-1.4.2-rc1
if [ `echo $PATH |grep -c "$JAVA_HOME"` -eq 0 ]; then
        export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
fi

-
Finally - the browser plugin

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
ln -s  /opt/blackdown/j2sdk-1.4.2-rc1/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/
libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

Java apps work fine for me, java plugin works in both epiphany and
mozilla.

Hope this helps.
OK - truth be told, I actually use an rpm I wrote the spec file for (it
does all of the above but in an rpm package).

It might have some %post and %postun bugs though (I don't think so) so
I don't want to distribute the spec file (in the %post and %post I deal
with /etc/mime.types and /etc/mailcap entries - when you extract the
tarball yourself, it does that for you but in your ~/.files)