up2date takes forever

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Mon Oct 18 17:43:33 UTC 2004

>> I just installed fedora on my PC and up2date is taking forever to
>> download packages. It's downloading at about 4 KB/s, when the rest of
my
>> network is downloading stuff at the usual high speeds (up to 150
KB/s).
>> My PC is on a hub with my Mac, but the Mac is not downloading
anything at
>> the time. Is there a mirror I can try with up2date that can give
better
>> download speeds? Or other settings I can tweak somewhere? TIA.
>
>I suggest you check out this great article:
>
>http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/
>to setup a different Mirrors.
>HTH
>Colin

[<Yigal>]
The article is good: gives all the data and goes step by step. The
problem that this kind of guidance is for people who know how to edit
configuration files. For me it was great experience to practice the VI
from the UNIX of 20 years ago: and I was glad to see that it works about
the same, and furthermore I remember those commands tricky.

So it took the time to edit... and I was slowly and carefully following
the lines, always wondered why I should do that: Maybe let the YUM work
instead for me. When I reached the bottom of the article I found out
there is a way to tell YUM to do it automatically - at this point I
decided to stop editing the file and let the YUM work hard.

And what I really wonder is why cant Fedora give an automatic solution
(ask me what server do I prefer and install it in the config file,
perhaps in a GUI editing tool). Or even use my time zone to set it up.