iptables problem...

Hi,

Installed and running FC2 in Virtual PC 2004.  Now I'm trying to
configure iptables and when I type 'iptables -L' at the command prompt
I get this error message:

iptables v1.2.9: can't initialize iptables table 'filter' : iptables
who? (do you need to insmod?)
perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I've run up2date so I would think iptables and the kernel are updated,
right?  Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?  What is
insmod?

Thanks in advance,
Linn